2022 STH 89 Reconstruction Project
Construction is underway on STH 89/Farnham St. To view the posted detour route, click this link to download the map
The reconstruction project for STH 89 (Farnham St.) began April 11, 2022. Starting just south of Avalon Road and ending at Park Avenue. To view the map of the reconstruction area, click here. The project will replace deteriorated pavement and update the urban section of WIS 89 within these limits from an 11-foot drive lane to a 12-foot drive lane. The project will add sidewalk and update storm and City sewer and water facilities.
- Work last week- 08/08/2022 involved grading, sidewalk work along with light bases.
Work this week- 08/15/2022 involves asphalt binder for Stage 2 with topsoil, signs, sod, and erosion mat installation. Asphalt surface and pavement marking over the entire project is scheduled for next week.
STH 89 and STH 73 are closed to ‘Thru-Traffic’. Please follow all posted detours.
Timeline of the project:
This project is estimated to begin April 7, 2022 and end August 19, 2022. Due to various factors, such as weather, dates may change. You may also download this tentative schedule.
- Utility updates, Fall 2021 - Spring 2022.
- Gas update completed March 2022 by NPL Construction.
- Utility pole update, February - March 2022.
- Tree removal by K&B Tree Service was completed March 21, 2022 along with stump grinding and removal. To view the locations of removed trees, click this map.
- Telecommunications projects such as replacing fiber lines began March 28 and was completed by mid-April.
- James Peterson Sons, Inc. (primary contractor) is authorized to begin work as of March 31, 2022, on the items related to PCMS prewarn messages, traffic control, and contractor staking.
- Public Informational Meeting held at the Columbus Senior Center on April 6, 2022. Link to the recording.
- The City removed select signage after road is officially closed.
- Erosion control installed on April 8 and 11, 2022.
- Road reconstruction by James Peterson & Sons begins April 11, 2022. WIS 89/Farnham Street will remain closed to through traffic during reconstruction. The posted detour will follow WIS 19 and WIS 73. WIS 73 will also be closed at the WIS 89 and WIS 73 intersection for two weeks during construction. The work zone will remain open to local residences and businesses.
- As of Monday, May 23, 2022, Farnham St. is closed to traffic both directions between Park Avenue and Avalon Road. It is marked very well with barricades and large “Road Closed To Thru Traffic” signs. Residents that live on Farnham in the construction area still have access in/out of their residences. Parents still have access to the pre-school and businesses will still be accessible.
- Underground work on phase 1 (the north portion of the project) has been completed.
- Phase 2 (from the high school to Avalon) has begun as of May 23, 2022.
- Asphalt will be applied to select sections from Phase 1 beginning Monday, June 27, 2022.
- As of June 28, 2022 any persons needing to access the Columbus Aquatic Center or Fireman’s Park may access from the east off of Folsom Street or Poet Street. For the safety of construction workers still on-site we request that traffic use Waterloo Street and then use either Poet Street or Folsom Street and cross over Farnham Street to access the Aquatic Center and Fireman’s Park. This is the safest way to give full access to the Park and Pool areas. Local traffic is requested to minimize traffic through Fireman’s Park for the safety of the Carnival workers, event staff and event patrons. Local traffic from residents on Farnham Street are requested to use Folsom St or Poet St to Waterloo Street to exit the area rather than cut through Fireman’s Park.
- Farnham Street Stage 2 project limits are 100 feet south of Avalon Road to 200 feet south of Folsom Street. The current detour will stay in effect through stage 2. Farnham Street from Avalon Road to Park Ave (STH 73) will be closed to thru traffic, open to residents and local businesses only.
- The Park Street (HWY 73) / STH 89 intersection is to be closed for improvements beginning mid-to-late June, with a 2-week closure at this intersection with estimated completion by July 1, 2022.
- Phase 3 of construction began Monday, July 25 with the closure of the intersection at Farnham Street and Park Avenue (STH 89 and STH 73). The intersection's sanitary and pavement work has been completed.
- Reconstruction estimated to be completed by August 19, 2022 with the finishing touches done the following week. The construction schedule is based on favorable weather and construction status.
- Post-construction inspections and final development.
Stay up-to-date on the latest news and updates for this project by signing up here. You can receive email and text alerts be among the first to stay informed!
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin's southwest region, visit the Southwest Region's 511 construction website. You can also follow on Twitter @WisDOTsouthwest.