2022 STH 89 Reconstruction Project
Construction is underway on STH 89/Farnham St. To view the posted detour route, click this link to download the map
The reconstruction project for STH 89 (Farnham St.) began April 11, 2022. Starting just south of Avalon Road and ending at Park Avenue. To view the map of the reconstruction area, click here. The project will replace deteriorated pavement and update the urban section of WIS 89 within these limits from an 11-foot drive lane to a 12-foot drive lane. The project will add sidewalk and update storm and City sewer and water facilities.
Timeline of the project:
This project is estimated to begin April 7, 2022 and end August 19, 2022. Due to various factors, such as weather, dates may change. You may also download this tentative schedule.
- Utility updates, Fall 2021 - Spring 2022.
- Gas update to be completed by March 2022 by NPL Construction.
- Utility pole update, February - March 2022.
- Tree removal by K&B Tree Service was completed March 21, 2022 along with stump grinding and removal. To view the locations of removed trees, click this map.
- Telecommunications projects such as replacing fiber lines began March 28 and is estimated to be completed by mid-April.
- James Peterson Sons, Inc. (primary contractor) is authorized to begin work as of March 31, 2022, on the items related to PCMS prewarn messages, traffic control, and contractor staking.
- Public Informational Meeting held at the Columbus Senior Center on April 6, 2022. Link to the recording.
- The City removed select signage after road is officially closed.
- Erosion control installed on April 8 and 11, 2022.
- Road reconstruction by James Peterson & Sons begins April 11, 2022. WIS 89/Farnham Street will remain closed to through traffic during reconstruction. The posted detour will follow WIS 19 and WIS 73. WIS 73 will also be closed at the WIS 89 and WIS 73 intersection for two weeks during construction. The work zone will remain open to local residences and businesses.
- As of Monday, May 23, 2022, Farnham St. is closed to traffic both directions between Park Avenue and Avalon Road. It is marked very well with barricades and large “Road Closed To Thru Traffic” signs. Residents that live on Farnham in the construction area still have access in/out of their residences. Parents still have access to the pre-school and businesses will still be accessible.
- Underground work on phase 1 (the north portion of the project) began April 11, 2022. Phase 1 is estimated to be completed by July 1, 2022 based on favorable weather conditions and construction status.
- The week of 5/9 involved work for the water main on Folsom Street, the sanitary sewer main between Poet Street and Park Street, and the storm sewer between Poet Street and Park Street. Additionally, culvert pipe at 2nd Ward Creek was removed and replaced.
- The week of 5/16 involves work for the sanitary sewer from Folsom Street to the south, sanitary and water services between Poet Street and 2nd Ward Creek. Storm sewer between Folsom Street and Poet Street along with concrete endwalls at 2nd Ward Creek and roadway grading between Park Street and 2nd Ward Creek will be worked on.
- Phase 2 (from the high school to Avalon) will begin May 23, 2022.
- Farnham Street Stage 2 project limits are 100 feet south of Avalon Road to 200 feet south of Folsom Street. The current detour will stay in effect through stage 2.Farnham Street from Avalon Road to Park Ave (STH 73) will be closed to thru traffic, open to residents and local businesses only.
- The Park Street (HWY 73) / STH 89 intersection is to be closed for improvements beginning mid-to-late June, with a 2-week closure at this intersection with estimated completion by July 1, 2022.
- Reconstruction estimated to be completed by August 19, 2022. The construction schedule is based on favorable weather and construction status.
- Post-construction inspections and final development.
Stay up-to-date on the latest news and updates for this project by signing up here. You can receive email and text alerts be among the first to stay informed!
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin's southwest region, visit the Southwest Region's 511 construction website. You can also follow on Twitter @WisDOTsouthwest.